Monday 5 June 2017

America: 4th June 2017

Today we had a lazy morning. There wasn't any Hummingbirds on the feeder which is a shame :(

I got an email response from Alistair! He is my oldest school friend from New Zealand, and ended up being my best friend before we emigrated back to England in 1990. I sent him an email late last night after my talk with Sabine. Its possible I will be able to see him later this year! WOW!

We had to complain to the leasing agents about a dodgy broken blind, and also a window that wouldn't close properly. In the night I was awoken by a noise that turned out to be the toilet constantly flushing. I hate the idea that we will be charged for wasted water because of a broken system. Its still dodgy now. I have the cover off so we can tweak around with it and make the tank fill up properly. However if it gets worse we will have to report it. But no we didnt report it today because it still 'works'.

We walked to the hill behind the university and looked out at the view. It was weird being on top of a hill because all this time everything has been flat. Even the hill itself is always blocked from view so it was good getting to know that the area can actually be hilly. I also saw the house where Sabine was staying for her first 4 days before I flue out.

On the way back we found a secret garden where Hummingbirds were buzzing about. I tried my best to get a decent video of them. And kinda succeeded!
I also spotted a few ground running birds and got Sabine to take photos of them.

We went to Starbucks for our very first time just so that I could at least get an idea of how sugary their drinks are. They are very sugary, but at the same time very tasty. We had what they call a "S'mores frappuccino". Real "S'mores" out here are an interesting american snack. They consist of two Graham Crackers that act as the sandwich with the filling being a couple of block of Hershys chocolate (enough to fill the cracker), and a flamed marshmallow. The hot gooey marshmallow melts the chocolate and makes everything a sticky mess for the few seconds before eating it. Its basically a USA campfire snack.
Anyway, Starbucks have their frappuccino equivalent and it was actually pretty tasty.

We went to Albertsons afterwards so I could take a photo of their weird prices. After I got home I uploaded the photo to Facebook to let my English friends see how weird their pricing can be (3 prices on one label).
Also as I was doing that, I noticed that I could create a shared album from my Google Photos backups. Awesome! I can easily share my videos! And heres the link:

https://goo.gl/photos/yvRFdvbx9642HEa28

360˚ shot from the top of Irvine!

American price tags... without tax included just to add to the difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment