Monday 15 May 2017

Seeing Sabine off to the USA

Sabine and I left Seaford at 8:30am.

Dad drove us with her two suitcases and hand luggage's to the station where we caught the 9am train to Gatwick. Today is a rather strange day with the trains. They are mostly going to London via Brighton, as the Lewes to Gatwick route is restricted to only running once an hour. All of this is due to Brighton Albion's street parade since they won getting into the Premiership.

We arrived at Gatwick extremely early. We visited South terminals bag wrap centre. She wanted her two suitcases wrapped after all. She got it done for £13 or so each. Thats her decision. She claims she had broken suitcases in the past, and this is true regarding when she went back to Germany with an empty case in order to bring back her wedding dress. So truth be told I kinda understand why she wants to wrap them. However, we didn't use South terminals service. The guy told us its self service. We both knew from experience that in the North terminal they do it for you, so we decided to go there instead. We had the time, so why not. Just as we predicted, there was a woman in the North terminal willing to wrap them herself.

Back at the South terminal, we used the lift to go one floor up to visit the amazing sandwich bar. They do an amazing Bacon and egg bagel which we have had before. This time however, I had a chicken bbq panini and she had a caesar salad one. Still really tasty.

Next we got her last English hot chocky from downstairs at Costa. Right next to the arrivals area. But they took their time serving us. After that we wheeled the luggage trolley awkwardly with our take away hot chocolates to the Norwegian Air check in desk.

Both cases through and done, we sat on a seat nearby to finish our drinks. She also rang her mum via Skype, using the doggy free wifi. Its mothers day In Germany today.

Eying a Cafe Nero upstairs from out seats, I suggested we should go there to see if they have the yummy Goats cheese sandwich that we love so much. So yeah we went there and ate one each! :p Its so damn good. Best sandwich in the world. Its probably only on a limited edition run though :(

After that I had to reluctantly say yet another farewell to her at the departure gate. I know its only 4 days until my turn however its still very sad to see her off without me in tow.

After that I caught a train, arriving home after lunchtime. I wasn't keeping an eye on the clock.
Around 2:30 I got text messages from Sabine saying her flight was being delayed for whatever reason. A faulty break light or something. I checked online to find that every 10 to 15 minutes they were pushing back the departure time. It got to 3pm and the website wasn't updating. It just said that the delay would last until 3. She had already been in the plane for an hour already. I phoned her up. She said people were getting annoyed. She was annoyed. not surprising!
I heard the tannoy call from captain while I was still on the phone. He finally said that they would be on their way. So that was that! I had to end my call with her.

Around 3:30pm she was in the air, traveling northwards. I kinda thought this was strange until I checked online. The fastest way to LA from Gatwick is to go north, up via Iceland and Greenland, into the heart of Canada and down into the heart of USA then south to LA. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment