Friday 19 May 2017

Farewell England

It was on a walk with Alex around Stanmer Park a few months ago that it 'hit me' that I would be living in America. However it didn't come with a bang, more like a slight whimper and then fizzed away. It's been like that off and on these past few months. Im sitting in the plane now typing this and it's still not really 'hit me' properly yet.
Having said that I have left the UK after a gorgeous send off. The weather this spring has been back to its usual standard of decent warm sunshine. We didn't get that last year. It only ever stays nice around the spring and that's about it. But yeah this year was nice again. I got married on a nice day, had good weather for our Bluebell Walk and even stayed in a lighthouse with good weather. I have individually said goodbye to my friends including some from my past like Mikey. I'm really happy to have seen them one last time before this big move. I even saw people from Japan club one last time and individually spent time with Paul and Alex in my final week.
I started saying goodbye to my usual haunts. I started with Seaford's Kebab shop a few months back. The kebab was as bad as ever but I ate it knowing that this was the end. The trend continued with our cake shop in Brighton, followed by Dunkies, The Shore, Pomegranate, The Shahjahan, The Welly, The George, Goemon and finally Tangs.
Maybe it's just me being food crazy but i'm pleased I said goodbye to the owners of these establishments.
Seeing my friends off was not easy. Seeing my family off today was worse. My brain doesn't seem to want to compute the fact I won't be seeing them in a while.
I might end up going crazy when the culture shock finally hits me.
I was tearing up when saying goodbye to Alex. We had just enjoyed an awesome day out watching arguably the best film of the year (Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2) and an awesome meal at Goemon. When he drove me home I just couldn't quite picture the end of the era. Everything just seemed so naturally normal. Even the day before with a night out with Paul it just seemed like a normal night out. Definitely NOT a This-is-the-end-of-an-era sorta thing. EVEN this morning when leaving my empty bedroom, it still only looked like my bedroom. I couldn't see it looking 'empty' somehow. So yeah, i find it kinda hard saying goodbye because I don't 'feel it'.
One thing I will definitely miss is the bird life of England/europe.
I will miss the sound of the Wood Pigeons, Doves, Robins, Wrens, Chaffinches, Blue Tits and even the sound of the Herring Gull. It's been so normal to me. But I have found really good youtube videos of these birds, one video being 8 hours long 0_0
I don't know quite how to end this post but I will say this isn't a goodbye, just a farewell. That's how it feels to me in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment