Sunday 27 August 2017

Dunedin: 27th Aug 2017

Today Sabine and I drove to Oamaru. Along the way we stopped at Moeraki Boulders, which are these huge round football looking like rocks that are in the beach. I got my feet wet from the tide which soaked my socks for the rest of the day.

Next we visited the iSite of Oamaru to get our bearings. Sabine fancied eating fish and chips so we found a nice place at the harbour which served it. However it was tourist prices unfortunately. still, I enjoyed it.

There was this very New Zealandy event going on. Off road vehicles were turning up with dead wild pigs and Red Deer strapped to anywhere possible. They offloaded there hunt to be weighed for a competition type thing. I asked a few blokes behind me what was going on and they said there is a prize for the heaviest and ugliest kill. This of course was going on in the outside with all the local kids and families around. No one cared nor battered an eyelid. Just your everyday normal thing, having a bunch of dead carcasses lying around. Family friendly fun!

Next we visited a lookout point for yellow eyed penguins. We didn't spot any pengis but we did see a adult female Sealion lying around near us on the cliff and a juvenile Sealion hopping about at the shore. I think I was here in 2009.

Next we drove inland to see the Elephant rocks. These weird grey rocks come out the ground in very strange curvy formations which I guess gives them their name. They have filmed a scene from the Hobbit part 1 here, as well as 'Aslans camp' from the Narnia films. There is a beautiful view of the Southern Alps here too. We had really nice weather today which was a bonus. I got too hot at times. I noticed a bunch of locals in t-shirts and shorts today. It wasn't exactly hot, but it definitely wasn't cold like it has been.

After that there was a long drive home and a final shop from The Warehouse and Pac n Save.

No comments:

Post a Comment