Tuesday 15 August 2017

Dunedin: A dinner with Sabines manager

Today Sabine and I were invited to her managers house for dinner.

I went to Liquorland during the daytime (its just down the road) to get a cheap bottle of wine, and came across a Merlot selling for $8.90- the cheapest bottle available.

Along the way I noticed that both the long haired ginger tom and the black kitty live opposite ours. :3

In the evening we drove to the peninsular to Allans house, that's her managers name. He is EXACTLY how I imagined him to be. Tall, grey hair and very much a kiwi. Sabine was weirded out the whole time for the reason why her manager wanted to give her a dinner in a situation where two families meet up. I understood though. A work/family relationship is very much a thing here in NZ.

They live in a REALLY nice area too. very posh.

My Merlot was received very well. I got to meet his wife and step daughter too. We all had a great conversation about where everyone has been in the world, and the good and bad things that happened to Sabine and I to get to this point living where we are now with the stupid renting rules they have here in Dunedin.

I for one really enjoyed tonight. Sabine came away thinking what is she supposed to do now, invite them over for a dinner now? Work in a certain way? I just think over here in NZ, work people do these sorts of meet ups as a way of being polite to their employees, and getting to know them and their families a little better outside of work. Its just a nice thing. However I would agree that had this happened in the UK, I too would be weirded out, wondering what the real reason for it would be about. In the UK a lot of the time, office workers act as 'friends' to each other, where employees pretend to be friendly to each other to save their skins so to speak, when truly they dont get on at all. But nope, I actually really enjoyed tonight. Allan and his family are really nice.

In other news the town centers' water supply was drained out completely due to some idiot pumping contaminated water from the nearby reservoir into the water mains. It doesn't effect the house water here in Ayr Street, though it does effect Sabines work place. Hopefully the issue will be resolved tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment