Saturday 5 August 2017

Dunedin: 5th Aug 2017

So firstly we had an appointment at 9:30 to see a flat. And by a flat, I mean a FLAT. This was our first flat viewing, and instantly I realised one thing; it was very warm inside! The flat was incredibly well insulated but still, not for us. A bit very small with no garden space. Not that it matters anymore.

After that we went to The Warehouse and bought bedding stuff. We also went to The Warehouse in town which had more stock such as electric blankets and over-blankets. I had no idea what an over-blanket was until dad told me the other day. I even asked an assistant and he told me you sleep with both. The electric blanket to warm the bed before you sleep (so you turn it off once in bed), but the over-blanket can be kept on and even has a timer. you can have it on for x number of hours before it switches off. This is going to be much needed here.

We took our new stuff directly to the new property. I have a key so I can get in to drop off some of our stuff before move in day. We bumped into the Chinese landlady and her husband, cleaning the place ready for our arrival. I asked directly about whether the previous bad tenant still had a key, and she said that unfortunately she still does. She tried to cover the story slightly by saying it was 'lost' but I wasn't having any of it. I asked her outright to change the locks before our move in day. Sabine later emailed her to say that if she isn't doing it, we will be. I'm sorry butI'm not having any crap here. This previous tenant was a bad person and even smashed some furniture (at least 4 wooden chairs. There were originally 6 dining chairs, now theres only two). The husband finally got round to noticing the final warning notice on the door to the property (how can you miss this notice? I saw it and read it the other day for goodness sake) and according to Sabine he had a face of horror when reading it. The notice was for the previous tenant about some court hearing. We read it the other day before putting it back on the door knocker.

Ok, next up today we visited Otago Peninsula. We drove to the end but never visited the albatross centre. Instead we walked down to the beach where Mum, Dad and I previously waited for the blue penguins to arrive that time in 2009. Unfortunately now there are metal steps leading down to the beach, with a platform with metal railings at the beach itself. You don't touch the beach once. Maybe this is a good thing? But I don't think so personally. But maybe its best for the penguins.
We saw an interesting bird species on the cliffs which turned out to be a spotted shag. They had funny sticky outy red feet as they were flying. I also saw an albatross for like 3 seconds as it was flying around. After that we attempted to see the castle called Larnach Castle but that would cost money. maybe when its spring we will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment