Thursday 21 September 2017

Dunedin: Life in New Zealand. Part 5

Late last week I received a phone call from a woman called Liz from the agency Select. She was asking me to go and see her to go over my application. I decided to go straight away as I was in town already at the time. I was asked to conduct a word/excel/data entry test so I did that. Afterwards she went though the results with me and said I was good enough for two jobs she has on file. Fantastic!

After that I got my hair cut from a barbers for $20. That's a decent price. I walked home that day only to find that the bloody door wouldn't open. It didn't matter how i tried turning the key, it wouldn't fully turn anticlockwise. I ended up phoning the landlady. I was outside my home for 20 minutes before the key decided to click over like it wasn't a big deal. The landlady arrived. We were completely at a loss for why it wouldn't work. whats more, every time we tested it out it clicked over first time. So its 'not broken'. She gave me a spare back door key which would be helpful if this problem ever occurs again. :/

On Monday it was raining SUPER BADLY. I decided to walk to the place called Aurora Energy because no matter where I would have parked the car, I would have gotten soaked. I took my rain trousers too which helped me a hell of a lot.

I had my interview, fairly dry thankfully. It was a role that would see me doing mostly data input. I liked the interview style as they didn't ask much of me. It was mostly them telling me what the job would be and if I can do it etc. The walk back in the relentless rain completely soaked my socks and shoes. I was later phoned by Select to say I didn't get the job. This is strange as in the interview I was told by them that they would be interviewing more people and that I would be hearing back later in the week. Oh well.

On Tuesday I received a call from Liz telling me I have another Interview with Dunedin City Council for the next day. The interview itself went really well. I met with a woman at 9.30am and she took me into the offices upstairs. it was only a one to one, informal interview where I managed to answer all her questions, make her laugh (somehow) and just show that I can be really positive.

I walked to Select. I was going to talk to Sabine in her work but she said earlier that she would be busy. So I went to Select just to talk to Liz about the interview. She was free and sat me in a free available room and asked me how i thought the interview went. She let me ramble of for about 2,3 minutes before she said that just before i arrived into the office, she was on the phone with my interviewer and that they wanted me for the job, starting tomorrow! OH MY GOD! :D
I spent a while in select going over some paperwork and signing a few things. My time sheet and pay will be officially with Select.

Today I had my first day. Its 8:30-5 with an hour for lunch. Today was more of an overview with the company and the many things the council do as a whole. To emphasize this I sat in with a lady from the call center. They are amazingly talented people. They are able to take calls from all sorts of aspects from Library questions to rubbish collecting questions. She even answered appropriately such as "Hello this is the Library you are speaking with Alice, How may I help you", even though they are NOT the library, they still take their calls! 0_0

My role will be a very complex procedure with inputting changes of address to people. No lie its very very complex. Assigning names to addresses, assigning addresses to names, making sure other addresses are used for mailing instead. stuff like that. I will also be sorting through incoming mail and outgoing mail. There will be other things to do but that's what i found out today at least. Its a step up from things I did at Sussex Library. For sure. I get to use a bit of GIS which sounds fun. I loved doing that at Uni.

No comments:

Post a Comment