Tuesday 21 July 2020

Dunedin: I killed the lawn


I forgot to mention that on Friday 8th of March we were supposed to fly to Wellington for the weekend, but our plane was cancelled because it kept getting delayed until it hit the midnight curfew. No NZ flights after midnight.
Sabine was livid. I was disappointed. During our wait though we talked to Sabine's friend who we met up with once before when we were heading to Wellington. Same girl, same seat at the cafe area. Weird how fate works. After the cancellation occurred, everyone was offered to be re-booked in for the next morning. That was too late for us as Sabine had a Skype interview from 7:30am the next morning, and had pre-booked the Red Panda experience at Wellington Zoo for later that day.
Wellington Zoo gave us a full refund at a later date, but we rescheduled for a date in May. But Air NZ did not refund us.

From around March I felt it right to finally deal with the garden. I didn't mind it being overgrown so much, however It didn't matter how many times I cut the grass, clover was taking over rapidly. I started by using a rake to bring out its long strands but it was never enough. Because I was only using a push mower to cut the grass, the mulch helped the clover to spread. At a loss I bought some weed killer which doesnt kill grass, and used that in the bad patches. The results didn't really work. But I kept using it in vain hope something would eventually work. Needless to say that after some weeks everything died, including the grass. It was especially bad after we came back from our Easter holiday in April. I had to do something, which resulted in buying grass seed and almost starting again on the lawn. I had to start by watering the lawn for 3 evenings before I spread the grass seed. It didn't help much because the ground was still rock solid. But I kept going at it. Every evening I would come home from work and get right on with watering the grass with seed on it. It also didn't help that we were going into Autumn now, and the grass wasn't growing so much anymore.

At work in April, we had Fantails flitting in and around the Mail Room. I think they get very curious about what us humans get up to. They are such cuties.

Fantail at work

In the dead center of this photo there is a rare Black Morph Fantail

I killed the lawn

No comments:

Post a Comment