Monday 23 April 2018

Dunedin: Birdie In the Garden

I really didn't think I would be blogging about this. Sabine did, and I feel that was rather brave of her to do so. You see nearly EVERYONE doesn't talk about miscarriages. I dunno why? Is it something to keep to ones selves? Isn't it something people should know about so as to learn harsh realities and help comfort the grieving ex-parents to be?

On Tuesday the 3rd April Sabine wanted to 'speak with me' after work, so we went to Jizo for dinner; a Japanese restaurant in town. I had Katsu curry which was nice. I was expecting news about a pregnancy because I couldn't work out what else she needed to say to me in such a formal way.

Her pregnancy was confirmed by the doctors the next day, "4 to 6 weeks in" they said.

It was a bit of a shock, but not something I was overly concerned about. In fact over the next few days I was even getting excited at the prospect of being a father. We even joked around, calling it 'little one' or 'Birdie'.

That Friday at work, around late morning, Sabine emailed me to say something was wrong, and that she needs to see the doctors right away. Luckily she saw someone straight away, but they couldn't tell exactly what the issue could be. She was booked in for her first baby ultrasound scan on the following Monday so we just had to wait it out.

Saturday the 7th arrived and at a restaurant eating a halloumi burger we decided that no matter what, we wanted a child, and even had the realisation that no time is a good time to have a child, but we would regret it if we grew old without having children.

That evening she was getting worse than previously. She phoned up the hospital and was told to go to the emergency hospital. So we did. I did the driving. At the E.H. We were told to wait in a 4 hour queue, or alternatively be seen at an 'emergency doctors'. I have no idea why there would be a 4 hour queue in an emergency hospital, but I've heard some pretty bad stories about the hospital here in Dunedin. We chose the latter and decided on seeing a doctor right away. The emergency doctors was some place else in town, and it was good to be seen relatively quickly. It looked like an impressive place, but it didn't have the equipment, not even an ultrasound machine. We paid a hell of a lot of money just to be told to wait for the scan on Monday.

Sunday the 8th was depressing. We both spent the day in mourning. Sabines situation was bad going on worse and was definitely going through a miscarriage.
She phoned her mum, which didn't help. They don't see eye to eye and Sabine didn't get the emotional support she was after.
Next I Skyped my parents and Mum and Dad were incredibly nice and sympathetic. It was the best thing that happened that day to be honest. Mum was mum and couldn't have been nicer and sympathetic if she tried with what she said. Dad hardly got a word in but was also nice and sympathetic.

We went to bed early, but around 10pm Sabine woke me up up to say it happened for real. We decided to bury our Birdie in the garden just outside the kitchen window. It was pitch black and drizzling. :'( :'(

9 Mon-
I met up with Sabine for lunch. She had the week off for reasons such as visiting the the German consulate in Christchurch so she could get her passport surname changed to Morton. This all never happened. I was suppose to go to but then I got my work extension which was more important.
Sabine was due for an ultrasound scan today but when calling this morning they just out-rightly canceled the booking without so much as a how do you do. This is incredibly wrong! Sabine needed to know if she was alright! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE HOSPITALS OUT HERE??!?!?! After meeting up with me she went to see Rebecca, one of her managers, and told her everything. Rebecca was sympathetic and said Sabine can come back to work but only if she feels its okay.
Mum sent a bunch of lovely flowers via Inter-flora. They came with a nice hand written message.

Sabine had her doctors appointment on the Wednesday. She was arranged to get a scan done the week after but luckily she was slotted in and seen the next day.

Sabine got really down following the miscarriage but it hasn't been all bad. We decided its the right time to have a baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment