Tuesday 17 October 2017

Dunedin: Life in New Zealand. Part 7

Since my last blog post, my shoes died. I got them in Deichmann, Brighton, for £23. I should have known such cheap shoes wouldn't last. I usually spend at least £50 on shoes (my last pair which lasted about 2 years was about £80). I remember a pair that once lasted me 10 years. But these ones only lasted me 4 months. Super lame. They had no tread to them, so hey hum shoulda known. They looked nice.

Work is going okay. I'm getting used to the system and doing Notices of Sale and amending records. Mostly peoples addresses to their rate accounts (its basically council tax, otherwise known as "their house on the system" in my language).

I tend to be cutting the grass every 4 days. It grows super quick. We have a fresh lot of daisy's in the garden after only 12 hours. erghhh.

14 Sat-
Today Sabine and I firstly went to town for no real reason. In the mall there was a candy-floss stand with a girl making a whole bunch, for free. I asked her why it was free and said something about it being natural sugars/colouring. To me that wasn't a straight answer. However it could have something to do with the Vogel street party happening today.
I don't recall having had candy-floss in years, if ever. It melts in the mouth instantly.

We bought a rice ball each and walked to the Chinese Gardens to pick up our yearly passes. We learned that "some" of the 11 ducklings from 2 weeks ago didn't make it, but there is no sign of any of them today.

We walked to The Warehouse in town, passing Vogel Street. Today, from 3pm, there was a street party going on there. At the time of walking past, they looked to be getting ready. We hung out at The Warehouse, playing with toys such as a Pokemon game that guesses what Pokemon you are thinking of. Lol that was fun. Around 1pm we realised it was raining so we decided to not hang around for the party to start.

To be honest, I cant imagine why a family street party would START at 3pm. It makes no sense. We walked back to the car watching the clouds get worse in the distance. We made it home in time before it started thundering like crazy. There was even a bit of lightning in the distance.

Around 6pm we decided to have a drinking party ourselves. I went to the local liquor store to get Midori, a green melon drink, which was on offer. Walking back it started raining like crazy again. It was okay when I left the house but 5mins later was crazy as. Anyway, just when I approached home, Sabine was in the car driving out to pick me up. But I was too quick. As we were walking into the house I saw a flash of lightning really close towards either Roslyn or central Dunedin. either way really close!
We watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs with alcohol. Great fun!

15 Sun-
Today we went to Animates, then Pac n Save for a few things including bacon and mushrooms for tonight.

Along the way in the car, ahead we saw a few seagulls fighting over a plastic bag. It was a clear plastic bag, totally empty. Anyway, this huge Black Backed gull gulped it down in one go! Can you believe it?! Sabine and I couldn't stop laughing. Stupid bird!

In Pack n Save I bought a tasty pie, whilst Sabine had a quiche. Mine was better :p
Next we drove to Brighton. This is Brighton, New Zealand, which is actually really close by. Its a small village on the coast with sandy beaches, and an island rock named "Google", and a bunch of lifeguards in training on the beach. There wasn't much else there but it looked pretty, none the less.


Brighton
Brighton
Brighton

Brighton
Brighton

Next we drove north to another beach nearby. This one was vast and huge! Sabine and I spotted our first grey heron here. Two were around this area. Unfortunately so were an awful lot of dogs off their leads. There were signs telling their owners to keep them on their leads, but nobody here was reading that apparently! Still would like to visit this beach in the summer.

the next beach. this photo is for dad. I know he likes these cars.

We went back home to drop off our things from Pac n Save, then headed out again to Tunnel Beach, an area with a natural tunnel in the cliff face. The car park was at the top of the hill, and the walk down was very steep. At the very bottom through a man-made tunnel there was what looked like a Smugglers Cave. Didn't go in there though.

Tunnel Beach

Tunnel Beach
Tunnel Beach


After that walk we drove to one of the beaches of Dunedin called Tomahawk Lagoon. This was again a sandy beach. It also had a long sandy drop down to the beach. One kid was using this sandhill to sled down on a boogie board. At the lagoon on the other side of the car park, we spotted an egret.


Tomahawk beach

16 Mon-
Today I went to the AA during my lunch hour to sort out my NZ drivers licence. I was in the queue for ages, and when it finally got round to me, I found out they had to tie in my UK licence with my existing NZ licence. She got me filling in 3 forms. :/
My NZ provisional licence from 2007 is holding me back without me knowing about it. One form was to convert my British full licence to a full NZ one. I thought that would be it. But no, the second form was to update my old NZ provisional licence, and the third form I think was to somehow transfer the NZ provisional licence to a full one by using my UK full licence. God what a mess. But due to this, I cant drive here in NZ until I have my new full licence through the post. God I wasn't expecting this mess. When she said that I wasn't going to be able to drive in NZ until I got the new one, I tried to pull out and say Can we sort this out on another date. However she said that if I did, I would have to pay $50 next time I come in. T_T So it couldn't be helped. I also ran back to work because I was verging on being late back. I was only 3 minutes late, but it would have been worse had I not ran to the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment